Saturday, September 19, 2009

Orphan Sunday--November 8, 2009

I have the unique opportunity of volunteering with the very-reputable Christian Alliance for Orphans to promote Orphan Sunday here in our Valley. A couple days ago I mailed out letters to 21 area pastors (plus hand-delivered two) letting them know about this up-coming special day as well as the related website http://www.orphansunday.org/ . Almost every time I check out the site, there are more resources listed there. We're talking posters, videos, sermon outlines, Bible studies, kids' ministries, music, books, etc. There's a great video series there by Mr and Mrs Rick Warren of Saddleback Church where they use the acrostic O-R-P-H-A-N to list 6 things we as Christians can do for these needy children. Two of the YouTube videos listed there --"The Facts" by Show Hope and "Just How Big is 143,000,000?" --are particularly powerful, I think. It doesn't have to be a pastor that uses this stuff--it could be a Sunday School teacher, small group leader, college group--anyone who has a heart for orphans. There are several events already listed on the site and an invitation to add more. Any of you want to do something in your church or your town?

I am hoping to lead a workshop here at our church on Saturday, Nov 7 on topics like: Adoption is Needed; Adoption is Biblical; Adoption is Ministry; Adoption is "Do-able." I've got quite a few ideas but will really need God's help to truly make it fly. I would so appreciate your prayers.

1 comment:

The Keno Family said...

That's great Joy! I had sent this website to my friend who is just beginning her adoption journey as I may be in Bulgaria November 7! I hope she will embrace this and go for it! I will check back to your blog to see how you are doing!
Mary Ellen