Friday, October 10, 2008

Wrong AGAIN but God is at work

No, the Secretary of the Commonwealth of Virginia does NOT process requests for authentication the same day they receive them. I'm sure they would if I was a walk-in but it's a rather long walk :) I just checked the return tracking number (we supplied the return postage) and the package with that last piece of paper we need for our dossier has not yet been sent on its merry way toward our household.

And wouldn't you know it, when we finally got that verification of employment from Kevin's job last Friday, I noticed the notary's commission expires Feb 2009. For those not familiar with adoption from Eastern Europe, all the dates on every form are supposed to be valid for at least 8 or 9 months when you submit the dossier. So . . . unless there's a miracle and we get a travel date in November or EARLY December I am going to have to do this lovely letter all over yet again.

But the exciting news is that when we submit the dossier we are also supposed to wire $2000. At the start of this week that was not exciting news--it was rather terrifying because at this second of our lives we just don't have that much cash lying around and the only solution I could come up with was going further into debt on our credit card. I finally got up the nerve to tell Kevin about the $2000 on Tuesday because I was afraid he'd freak out. But he absolutely did not. He began telling me about a Christian radio program he'd heard that day of a person needing a large amount of money for some ministry and how people just began supplying the need. (Let me say here how wonderful it is to have Kevin so absolutely on board with this adoption.) Then Kevin started remembering how we have money coming from several different things. For instance, his part time job in a nearby town pays $65 for each time he mows their city park and they pay it in one lump sum. Their fiscal year just 'happened' to end the last of September and they owe him for 20 mowing. The same town reimburses him for money paid to get the various licenses he needs to manage their water/waste water systems. That's 4 X $45. We picked up a copy machine for the church and never got around to turning in the receipt: that's over $300! I don't know about you but I think I'm seeing God at work here.

So please, to any reader who might possibly be considering the adoption of a child with Down syndrome--or any child, for that matter--please know that if GOD is calling you to do it, He will make it possible.

No comments: