Saturday, May 2, 2009

Aggravating--though expected--News

We got a note from our State Income Tax folks yesterday saying that they have decided we cannot claim Caleb as a dependent on our 2008 taxes since he does not have a social security number. And all the oldies to this blog go "I know, I know, I know" For those new to this blog, Caleb's adoption from Ukraine took effect on Feb 15, 2008 and his official new apostilled birth certificate listing us as parents was sent from Ukraine to us by Fed-Ex in April 2008. That precious, priceless piece of paper has never arrived. It was lost in transit. Fed-Ex has looked for it to no avail--and even prolonged their search because I told them the document is practically irreplaceable. One can well imagine how much grief and pain in the neck this 'oops' has caused. Without the original birth certificate I cannot get a social security number and without a social security number, the government apparently does not consider him to be our son.



Mind you, I sent with our taxes: a copy of the adoption decree in Ukrainian and in English with us as parents, a photocopy of the photocopy of the new birth certificate which we received while still in Ukraine, a photocopy of the passport and visa, photocopy of immunization sheet from Ukraine which shows his passport number, photocopy of his current immunization records, photocopy of insurance cards. I didn't send a copy of the Citizenship Paper--I took a very good, close-up photo of it--maybe I'll try that! Couldn't someone just step back a minute from their rigid rule-keeping and think: obviously this child is their legal dependent or they wouldn't have all of these legal documents in the first place. Do they really think I would make up such a ridiculous story. Good grief! if I were inventing a tale I could sure have come up with more adventurous and exciting details than "Fed Ex lost it" I could have at the very least changed my name to Elizabeth and manufactured a gigantic, red paper-munching canine!



We haven't heard back from the Federal government yet, but I'm rather expecting to hear the same verdict. If Caleb isn't considered a dependent, we not only lose the part of the refund that directly applies to him but the adoption tax credit as well. Bah humbug!

Do you know how many plans I had for that money??!!



And yes, I can file an amended return after we get back from Ukraine with the new birth certificate (hopefully) in hand--both of us personally traveling to Ukraine is the only way to get a new one, according to one of our facilitators. But honestly, RE-filing our taxes is not too high on my Fun Things To Do list. Filing them in the first place barely made millionth place. :) I'm just whining here. If I were one of my children that would cost me 3 coins from my behavior jar. :) Really as I think about it, I guess all I'll have to do is just resend the form as I originally did it, just adding those precious 9 digits. I guess that won't be too brain-taxing. But it does really, really, really annoy me.



But on a good note, isn't it just handy-dandy that we both just 'happen' to be heading to Ukraine in the fairly near future . . . as in just NEXT MONTH, the Lord willing! Will that make Steven and Caleb twins if we get their birth certificates at the same time?!?!?!?!?!



I actually feel a bit better after writing this.

4 comments:

amyl4 said...

Unreal!! I'm sorry to hear this! I'd be whining too!!
Amy

Tania said...

Joy! Can I help with this? Just let me know.

Lydia said...

Wow. I'm so sorry, and now you have me worried:) I love your upbeat attitude, though- and it is WONDERFUL that you are going to Ukraine soone!

ArtworkByRuth said...

I've been thinking, the US Embassy in Kyiv had to scan all your documents into their system, and a copy of it went in your package to immigration. Could you email the embassy in Kyiv and ask what to do, maybe they can get a copy for you or help with in country? I have found that they actually RESPOND to their email!