Thursday, May 7, 2009

Letter to the Editor

I do not consider myself to be a political activist but in April I wrote the following letter which was published in the Times News (Twin Falls) yesterday, May 6, 2009:

Letter to the Editor of the Times News
A couple days ago I was just an ordinary Mom; yesterday I found out from my husband that I was officially listed as a threat to national security. I couldn't believe he was serious. I've mentally checked through the list of "subversive" activities I--an adoptive mother of 5--had been engaged in: let's see . . . laundry, vacuuming, helping kids with Pinewood Derby, shopping, running errands in Twin, taking my kids to church, going to Family Fun Night at the school . . . pretty dark and sinister activities, wouldn't you say?

No, these are not the activities that make me a supposed threat; according to the Department of Homeland Security, it's the fact that I--and many like me--firmly adhere to the veracity of biblical end-time prophecies and I--and many like me--strongly uphold the value of all life from conception to the grave. I believe there was a time when love of life and reverence for the Good Book were widely-held convictions in our country but-- whether my beliefs are now common or rare-- they provide no basis for any U.S. governmental agency to label me as dangerous. As far as I know, freedom to follow the dictates of one's conscience is still a foundational principle in our country. As far as I know, the Constitution of the United States is still the Supreme Law of the Land. As far as I know, it still contains the Bill of Rights which guarantees not only the freedom of speech but also the freedom of religion and specifically forbids "prohibiting the free exercise thereof." As far as I know, you and I are still "endowed by our Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness." As far as I know, we still live in the land of the free and the home of the brave.

I hope I don't find out differently tomorrow.

The Terrorist Next Door
Joy Mc_____

I wrote the letter in response to The U.S. Department of Homeland Security's (DHS) Office of Intelligence and Analysis, Extremism and Radicalization Branch who released a 10 page Homeland Environment Threat Analysis in April 2009 titled "Right wing Extremism: Current Economic and Political Climate Fueling Resurgence in Radicalization and Recruitment" In this report people who are pro-life and people who believe in end-time prophecies are discussed among the potentially-dangerous 'right wing extremists.'

3 comments:

Hi, I'm Alysha -But you can call me Lysh said...

Joy...I'm sorry you guys are going thru so much right now...Boy the enemy sure is trying to brake down your door for sure!! Will keep your family in my prayers and hoping for a peace that surpasses all mans understanding to rain down on you this Mother's Day..I know it's needed :{
Blessings and Hugs sent your way.

Anonymous said...

Good job, Joy. I'm proud of you.

Alice said...

Good for you, Joy!! My kids(who think they are British) would say, Huzzah!Huzzah!